- News & Events
- Contact Us
The Xavier Social Justice Network (XSJN) came into being when a group of like-minded parents and staff envisaged that combining skills and resources within a community such as Xavier could actually make a difference.
The Xavier Social Justice Network works within the spiritual tradition of the Jesuits. This tradition calls us to live a faith within which social justice is the heart. Our inspiration is Jesus Christ, the model of a fulfilled life.
We seek to engage the wider Xavier College community – Old Xaverians, current parents and their families, past parents and staff – in becoming compassionate and reflective men and women who are committed to serving those in need through direct service and through raising awareness about social justice issues.
Click here to view the flyer.
- Volunteer Opportunities
The Xavier Social Justice Network invites the Xavier College community to engage in volunteer work with social service agencies which support those in need. The Network also offers opportunities for volunteers to reflect on their experience and so to deepen their understanding of their commitment.
The partner agencies include:
- Sacred Heart Mission – Dining Hall and Women’s House
- St Vincent de Paul – Soup Van and Friday Night BBQ
- Jesuit Social Services – English Language and Child Minding Programs
- Brigidine Asylum Seekers Project – Friendship Through Teaching English Program
- The Haven – Companionship Program
- Free to Feed – Cooking School Assistant
- Education First Youth Foyer – Mentoring Program
- River Nile School – English Language Program
As a way of bringing our new XSJN Volunteers together we have organised a XSJN Volunteer gathering each term. These evenings are a chance to bring Network volunteers together, share stories, induct new members and learn about new volunteer opportunities. If you are interested in becoming a XSJN volunteer we would encourage you to attend a XSJN Volunteering evening.
The dates for these evening in 2018 are:
- Tuesday 22 May, Autumn Volunteer Experience, Free to Feed shared evening meal with refugee chef
- Monday 30 July, Winter Volunteer Experience, St Vincent de Paul evening soup van
- Tuesday 27 November March (6:30pm - 8:30pm), Volunteer Celebration, Location Railway Hotel, Windsor
Click here to download the full list of XSJN current volunteer opportunities.
- Upcoming Advocacy Events
The Xavier Social Justice Network holds a number of advocacy events each year to raise awareness and to challenge our understanding of social justice issues. This includes the annual Xavier Social Justice Network Dinner in support of Jesuit Refugee Services and the annual advocacy forum, Daring to be Different. The XSJN newsletter also serves to inform members of current issues and offers ways for people to get involved to work towards positive solutions.
Please save the date for the following events in 2018:
- Tuesday 5 June (7:00pm - 11:00pm) XSJN Dinner in support of Jesuit Refugee Services - Catholic Leadership Centre, East Melbourne
- Thursday 16 August (6:30pm - 9:30pm) Daring to be Different Forum - Eldon Hogan Performing Arts Centre, Senior Campus
- Wednesday 19 September (6:30-8:30pm) Burke Hall Movie Night, Garnett Hall, Burke Hall Campus
- Podcasts of Events
Firstly, I wanted to let you know that although we were unable to attend Daring To Be Different Forum, I committed to listen to the podcasts - WOW! Thank you for sharing the recording of your speakers - Chris, Lidia and John. I listened from start to finish, many times I had tears flowing down my cheeks. I don’t know how I would have been if we were there in attendance on the night! So, thank you for making these available to those who were unable to attend.
Judith Waugh - XSJN Member and Volunteer
XSJN publications include volunteer reflections, current volunteer opportunities, information on current advocacy events and recommendations for social justice activities.
View our recent publications written for the Xavier College Newsletter and the Xavier College magazine. You may also like to subscribe to our monthly XSJN eNewsletter Please email email@example.com to be included on our mailing list.
- Contact Us
It is free to become a member of the Xavier Social Justice Network. If you would like to subscribe to our monthly eNewsletter or to find out more about the Network please email XSJN@xavier.vic.edu.au or phone 0427 413 503. The office is open on Monday, Tuesday & Thursday.