As we approach Christmas there are a number of ways to get involved to help support our partner agencies and make a difference to the lives of others. Please contact XSJN if you are able to assist in any of the following activities on XSJN@xavier.vic.edu.au
- St Vincent de Paul Society calls on volunteers to help with wrapping Christmas gifts, preparing and delivering hampers in December from the site of the Footscray Soup Van Operation in Maribyrnong.
- Vinnies Footscray Soup Van is in need of canned or pantry food items and small essentials such as socks, which can be included in Christmas hampers for people in the Western suburbs.
- Vinnies Collingwood Soup Van is looking for gifts for women, men and children to distribute at Christmas time and Coles, Woolworths or Aldi vouchers in order to buy Christmas food for hampers to people they serve.
- Brigidine Asylum Seeker Project is holding a fundraiser night which will be an exhibition of the work of Naser Moradi, an Afghan asylum seeker and self-taught artist finding hope in the darkest of places. Please see the advertisement in the 'Events' section of our latest Newsletter #6 for more information.
- River Nile Learning Centre is currently seeking volunteers with teaching experience as volunteer tutors, to make calls to their students and assist them with conversations practice. They are also reopening their Foodbank this week and are seeking volunteers to assist with that.
- McAuley Community Services for Women is still accepting volunteers for supporting education of vulnerable children.
Other ways to support in the lead up to Christmas
- Support The Torch by purchasing Christmas gifts from their catalogue Shop – The Torch
- Create Christmas cards for children and young people in the youth justice system as a way to share some joy and Christmas spirit with these young people. The Christmas cards will be distributed on Christmas day by the chaplain for youth justice. Here are some attachments with instructions to help with creating the Christmas cards. Please drop off your Christmas cards at Senior Campus Reception by 15 December marked for XSJN.
- Be more aware of your purchasing this Christmas by looking for ethical, fair-trade and 'modern-slavery-free Christmas gifts. Check out these websites for ideas:
- Make brands rethink #whatshemakes.